Send Santos a message they can't ignore – make an EIS submission, using the suggested template or by writing your own submission. Lock the Gate will print them all out and personally deliver them to the Department of Planning. Ends 22 May 2017. lockthegate.good.do/stopcsginnsw/EIS
Attn: Executive Director, Resource Assessments Department of Planning and Environment GPO Box 39 Sydney NSW 2001
This is a submission to the Narrabri Gas Project EIS.
I object to this project and believe it should be rejected.
This project, if approved, would:
1. Extract over 35 billion litres of salt laden groundwater, much of it in the first five years. This water will be treated and will generate almost 500,000 tonnes of salt waste, for which there is no safe disposal plan.
2. Clear close to 1,000 hectares of the Pilliga Forest, fragmenting the largest temperate woodland in New South Wales, home to unique wildlife.
3. Drill through a recharge aquifer of the Great Artesian Basin and draw water down from a water resource relied upon by rural communities across western NSW.
4. Lead to large deliberate and emissions of methane from venting and leakage, adding to climate change.
The project will also cause more trauma to the regional Aboriginal community because the area of impact is crucially important to the spiritual, cultural and social life of Gamilaraay people.
The project is not justified: Santos’ own coal seam gas export activities in Queensland have caused gas prices to rise and supply to become unpredictable.
NSW should respond to this by investing in more reliable and ultimately cheaper renewable energy, not by letting Santos inflict more environmental, social and economic harm.
It will cause economic upheaval in Narrabri and put agricultural industries at risk, as well as causing light pollution that will ruin the dark night sky needed by the internationally renowned Siding Spring Observatory.
Coal seam gas is harmful to health. Neither the NSW Government nor Santos have investigated or dealt with the serious health effects of coal seam gas now appearing in peer-reviewed research in the United States.
I urge the Government to reject this project and make the Great Artesian Basin recharge off-limits to gas mining.
Gas giant Santos want to drill 850 coal seam gas wells near Narrabri, in North West NSW. This project will: Drill through a groundwater recharge zone of the Great Artesian Basin and threaten food and fibre production in the Narrabri region Extract over 35 billion litres of saline groundwater and pro...
• Stop Free Water for Adani – Australian Youth Climate Coalition QLD Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has given a water license to Adani that would drain billions of litres of precious QLD water for free. Sign this petition to show the QLD Government you're outraged at this out of touch pandering to the coal industry. www.aycc.org.au/stop_free_water_for_adani
• Beyond coal: replace coal with clean energy – The Greens Call on State, Territory and Federal governments to work together on a plan for the retirement of all coal-fired power stations and a just transition for the workers and their communities. www.beyondcoal.com.au
• Stop Funding Coal! – Australian Marine Conservation Society Send Prime Minister Turnbull an email making it clear that Adani’s Carmichael coal mine, Abbott Point coal terminal and rail link are a threat to our Reef and should not go ahead. www.marineconservation.org.au/pages/emailpm-coal.html
• CommBank: Stop funding new coal – Greenpeace Petitioning CommBank CEO Ian Narev: Coal is polluting our world and threatening irreplaceable wonders like our Great Barrier Reef. I call on CommBank to help protect our Reef and power a renewable energy future by immediately committing to stop funding new coal projects. act.greenpeace.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1845&ea.campaign.id=65753
• We will not let this coal mine go ahead – 350 Australia Tell Minister Canavan that you won't accept taxpayers funding the Carmichael Coal mine at a time when we need to keep all fossil fuels in the ground. act.350.org/letter/adani-carmichael/
• Coal or the reef? – The Australian Greens Call on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to reject the reckless expansion of the Abbot Point Coal Terminal. grns.mp/coal-or-reef
• Premier Palaszczuk, special treatment for Adani must end – Environmental Defenders Office Queensland Please Premier, stop giving Adani special treatment, and stand up for Queensland. edoqld.nationbuilder.com/adanispecialtreatment
• It's time to come clean about the economics of coal – The Australia Institute Add your name to the open letter to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull asking for some straight answers. www.nonewcoalmines.org.au
• Tell your bank to ditch fossil fuels! – Australian Youth Climate Coalition Petition calling on the big banks to keep warming at a safe level by ditching funding for fossil fuel projects like Adani’s. www.putourfuturefirst.org.au/gameon
The fracking industry in British Colombia is way dirtier than we've been told, reports David Suzuki Foundation
VANCOUVER — Groundbreaking new research estimates fugitive methane emissions from British Colombia’s oil and natural gas operations — the majority of which use hydraulic fracturing (fracking) — are at least 2.5 times higher than reported by the B.C. government and may be much higher.
Together we stopped fracking in our area. When enough people stand up, politicians listen. Now we will join thousands of Australians to stop Adani's insane, climate-destroying coal mine. Come to this meeting to see the documentary 'Guarding the Galilee' and hear how you can help! WHAT FUTURE DO WE WANT FOR OUR CHILDREN? WEDNESDAY 24 MAY AT BEAV'S BAR AT 5:30PM 77-79 Little Malop Street » You can show others that you'll be coming by signing up on the Facebook event page